Paint the railings of your house quickly and easily!
If you plan to put the railings of your house or see the first signs of rust on your railings then this article you find very useful.
When is the best time to paint my railings?
In general, the best seasons for painting are spring and autumn. Seasons that do not have very low or high temperatures, the humidity should be low, there should be no rain so that each layer of paint dries properly and in depth.
Therefore, we choose to paint our railings when the weather is hot and dry. During the summer we avoid the very hot hours of the day. The metal railings “boil” from the heat and with them the color. This is why blisters often form on the surface. Avoid painting when the surfaces are wet or when there is moisture, the paint will not adhere well and may peel off after a while.
What colors does Feng Shui suggest for a happy home
What is the best color for railings?
In terms of quality, there are colors for railings in a wide variety with excellent proposals. Indicatively we mention: odorless, easy to apply, with decorative finish, with rust protection, resistant to severe weather conditions and UV rays, with quality guarantee.
Particular preference is observed in forged paints for railings due to their beautiful decorative finish and their anti-rust properties.But the color for railings, for you, is where the combination of its properties serves your needs.
What is the best color for railings?
In terms of quality, there are colors for railings in a wide variety with excellent proposals. Indicatively we mention: odorless, easy to apply, with decorative finish, with rust protection, resistant to severe weather conditions and UV rays, with quality guarantee. However, a special preference is observed in forged paints for railings due to their beautiful decorative finish and their anti-rust properties.
But the color for railings, for you, is where the combination of its properties serves your needs.
How do I paint my new railings?
When we install new iron railings in the garden or on the balcony, they are usually delivered to us unpainted, but with some oiliness. The first thing we must take into account is that the process of corrosion on any iron surface is always “ready”, so we must paint the unpainted railings as quickly as possible and in fact correctly … that is, not to appear . rust, not to peel the paint, our railings to be like new as many years as possible.
How to make your living room more Boho
The steps are:
- First we clean the railings with a cloth soaked in solvent to remove the grease that the surfaces have.
Choose a quality anti-rust primer.
- The quality of the anti-rust primer translates into a long-lasting protection of metal railings from rust.
- Then we apply a coat of metal primer such as PRIMER NYTI PRIMER. It acts as a connecting link between the anti-rust and the final color, enhancing their adhesion.
- Finally, paint with 2 coats of paint. Here we have many choices of products, finishes and shades.
The most important is the product that should have the following technical characteristics:
- Resistance to weather conditions, humidity and radiation
- Elasticity, to follow the contractions and expansions of the surface and not to break
- To create a hard film, resistant to shocks. When the paint film breaks, then moisture and air easily penetrate the surface, reach the metal and corrosion begins.
If the appropriate products and following the instructions of the manufacturers faithfully, our railings remain in good condition for many years.
Why should I paint my iron railings with anti-rust primer and then with paint, and not apply 2 coats of one color with anti-rust protection?
Nowadays, as the technology is constantly evolving, you can find high quality paints that work as 2 in 1, final product with rust protection.This is a practical and quick option that consists of:
- When the iron railings are inside they can even creak
- If the railings are external but protected by a floor or shed and during the extension are not exposed to severe weather conditions
- If we wish for a limited time
In any other case, the long-term protection of iron surfaces such as metal railings is ensured by the 3 steps (anti-corrosion – metal primer – duo paint or durable ripolin) mentioned above.
Is there a “secret” to protect or delay the appearance of rust on my railings?
A practical suggestion to delay the appearance of the curry and to avoid its extension is the rubbing and the very careful painting 2cm around the joints and the corners. These points are considered particularly vulnerable because they accumulate rainwater or water from the balcony wash and often present problems.
Also, we can follow the same tactic every year [rubbing and painting (anti-rust & paint) 2cm around the joints, corners or wherever wear is observed] to prevent rust in the initial stage and not allow it to spread. Applying this tactic, the next time we will deal with the painting of our railings may be after 5 to 8 years, depending on the environmental conditions..
How do I repaint rusted railings?
Knowing that corrosion starts immediately on the “bare” metal railings, we plan our time to put the railings immediately after sanding and after removing dust and priming.
- We prepare the area … and we protect the environment and us
We take the appropriate measures to protect our environment and health. Cover the area around and under the railings with cloths, newspapers or suitable paper towels so as not to soil the surrounding area.
We wear suitable clothes that will protect our skin from dust, glasses and a mask. This way, the painting will be more relaxed for us and safer.
- We clean the metal surfaces
To clean and remove any dirt from the iron railings we use a solvent from the trade and the cleaning brush.
- Remove peeled paints and loose rust. At this stage we must remove all the peeled paint and rust from the railings. For quick results, it is advisable to use a wire brush, maybe a metal scraper (depending on the size of the peel).
- We prepare the surfaces so that the paint has good adhesion. Sand all the surfaces we intend to paint with a sandpaper. If our surfaces are very “wild” we should make them as smooth as possible. The purpose of sanding is to remove any gloss from the surfaces and make them uniform and slightly rough to enhance the adhesion of the paint and achieve a perfect finish.
- Remove the rust. There are two main ways to treat rust: scrubbing or chemical removal. The rubbing has the advantage of creating a smooth surface while the use of rust neutralizer is easier as a process but it takes a long time for the product to act. • Rust removal mechanically: We can use an electric angle grinder with the appropriate sandpaper or wire brush that adapts to the wheel.The choice of the appropriate tool depends on the size of the curry and the complexity of the surface. Neutralization of rust with chemical liquid: Once the peeled paints and loose rust are removed, apply the rust neutralizer with a brush, according to the product instructions. This product is a great alternative, easy and fast. Recommended when rust has not penetrated to great depths.
- Apply the Primer. After we have done all the pre-treatment and before applying the mini, we clean the surfaces with a damp cloth. Our goal is to clean the dust so that the surfaces are clean and dry ready for painting. For best results, especially in areas with a strong atmosphere, 1 coat of mini and 1 coat of anti-rust primer are recommended.Tip: To prevent rust. Despite the careful preparation of the metal surfaces, the rust finally reappears. The better you “seal” the surface from moisture and air, the longer corrosion protection will last.
- Apply the final color for railings. Apply the final color for railings using a brush, roller or spray gun. Painting railings with a pistol is a practical and very fast way to paint railings. However it has one drawback, a large loss of color due to spraying. Whichever way we choose to put our railings we should try to create uniform surfaces in terms of color thickness. When we put a lot of material on the surfaces and do not spread well on the known “runs” or “tears” of the paint.
Smart ways to add color to your home
My railings are made of galvanized iron, what anti-corrosion protection should I use?
In this case, instead of a mini or anti-rust primer, we use a special primer for galvanized metals. Indicatively we mention the CHASSICOT ANTI-RUST, VERNICHROME C740 SYSTEM, PRIMER NYTI PRIMER
Read hundreds of articles that will answer any question about #toxromapouagapas by clicking here.