Painting the outside of a house is just as important as the inside. It is as necessary for its renewal as for its maintenance.
Who doesn’t want their home to have a tasteful, neat and unique look? Whether it’s a subtle color, or a more intense and vibrant one that catches the eye, exterior wall colors should always be carefully chosen, taking into account specific factors.
To begin with, the color of the facade of a house is not only a simple decorative element, but an element that properly highlights the architectural composition of the building.
However, the choice of the ideal color also depends on the location of the house, on whether it is in nature or in the city, on its age, but also on bioclimatic factors related to the thermal insulation of the interior of the building.
The question “What color should I paint the outside of the house” that many of you may have often, will be answered in this article. Discover the 5 most popular and timeless colors for painting the exterior walls of a house and see how to renew the look of your home stylishly and efficiently.
5 timeless colors for painting exterior walls.
- Exterior walls in white. Like beige, which is mainly preferred in hot climate areas to avoid the accumulation of the sun’s heat, white is one of the most common colors for painting the exterior walls of a house. The white color could be said to be representative of the exterior of the houses of Greece in general, while the white and blue palette in the houses. In addition to being classic and timeless, white refers to purity. Also, it is ideal if you want to give the feeling of a visually bigger house, since you know how, very light shades give volume and size to a space or building. Its downside is that it needs regular care and maintenance to keep it looking pristine, as it gets dirty quite easily.
- External walls in pink. Pink color on interior walls may not be found as often as body and washed out pink, but it undoubtedly combines beautifully with white, giving the romantic element to your home that will definitely not go unnoticed! On the other hand, the body and the more faded pink refer to homes of Italian refinement and giving the exterior of a home a touch of luxury. But since this is a somewhat unusual color choice for interior walls, be sure to first consider whether the particular colors harmonize with the exterior environment of your neighborhood. If your home is located in a mountainous or seaside area, choose the body without a second thought and win the impressions.
- Gray exterior walls. The color gray, in its lightest or darkest shades, is one of the top color choices for the interior as well as the interior spaces of a house. They are popular mainly because it is easily combined with frames of various types, with the surrounding spaces, but also with materials such as stone, wood, etc. A wooden pergola or some stone constructions in the exterior of your house suit and combine perfectly harmoniously with the gray color. It is a timeless choice that can give a modern and distinctive “classy” character to the exterior of your home.
- Exterior walls in yellow. And yet, as much as it seems quite intense to some, the color yellow on exterior walls of houses is often encountered, especially when there are wooden frames. This is a classic choice for those who want to make the exterior of their home stand out in a unique way.
- Exterior walls with color combinations. The combination of colors for the house of a house is the ideal solution for those who find it monotonous to limit themselves to a single color. Usually one side of a wall can be painted a light shade and the other a darker shade. Also, some special architectural elements of the building, such as a column or marquee can be made with the help of contrasts between shades in relation to the color of the wall. Other popular and favorite color combinations on house walls are:
- Beige-brown: mainly used in green areas to harmonize with the colors of nature.
- Yellow-grey: the perfect combination for a highly impressive effect, especially if there are white frames.
- Green-beige: light green with beige is a modern trend in exterior house painting, giving an optimistic tone to buildings especially in the urban landscape.
In case you attempt to combine two colors, make sure you get a dark one from the wall surface that is further back from the front of the building. In this way, the arrangement of the volumes will be more easily perceived, without color “dissonances”.
Tips for painting exterior walls of a house.
- Prefer light shades for the side of the house that “hits” the sun more so that the heat is not contained, but reflected and not transferred inside the building. For example, this concerns the south or west sides of a house which in the summer months have no shade.
- Ocher tones, i.e. shades of sand, are another classic choice for painting the exterior walls of a house. It matches traditional as well as more modern styles of decoration or frames (wooden and aluminium).
- Certain elements of a building that protrude from its main “body” (gutters, chimneys, etc.), or volumes, such as a staircase, are usually painted in different shades to stand out in color from the rest of the ensemble, giving elegance.
- In case the building and its architecture belong to an earlier era, allow some time for the color selection of the exterior walls. It is important to highlight its elements in order to color harmonize with them, but also with the neighboring houses.
- The choice of the ideal color for painting the house of a house also depends on whether it is close to nature. Earthy shades (beige, brown, deep red and yellow, blue and green) rest our eye and make the house “one” with nature.
If, for example, your house is near the sea, you can consider the shades of azure blue. If there is a lot of green in your surroundings, turn accordingly to some shade of green, ocher, body or tile.
Painting the exterior walls of your home can renew and improve the aesthetics of its exterior immediately and with spectacular results. Choose carefully the color and the exact shade that matches and highlights the exterior of your home, according to the architecture, the location, its special needs and how harmonious it is with the neighboring environment.
- How often should I paint the exterior of the house? Painting the exterior walls of a house is a task that must be repeated every 5-10 years, depending on the needs of each building, contributing both to its aesthetic renewal and to its maintenance.
- What does exterior painting do for a home? The exterior painting of a house is important as a decorative element that helps a building acquire the aesthetic that suits it. Also, exterior painting as a maintenance job of a property, protects its interior from environmental conditions, such as humidity and sunshine, acting as heat insulators. Thus, the building is more resistant to time and wear.